This is how it looked like at the back. I had to put
about two layers of plexi pieces to level over the capacitor and the
resistor. I tested it to see if I aligned the screen over the strip
and the PCB correctly to display the info. After getting the display
to work, I tightened up the nuts. The display uses one AA battery. I
got one of the AA single battery holders from the Shack since the
original battery holder is on the back cover of the display.
On with the side panel markings.
Measure twice, cut once. This way of thinking somehow did not work
for me. Good thing I have an 8Ē flat file and some needle files.
Iíve included the screen hole measurements that I used just in case
you want to do the same. The viewable screen of the LCD is
approximately 4.7cm x 3cm. I just added about 1cm on both sides just
in case I put some rubber molding.
Hereís a good time to give a good tip.
If you have plans to drill some holes on your beautiful brushed
aluminum case, drill from the backside. If your drill bit goes awry,
this nice piece of art, err, accident wonít stick out like a stupid
modders accident. Anyway, I liked the way it made a curve so it
didnít matter to me (yeah right). As you can see, the cut was
straight but was a little angled, based on the brush marks. Flat
file to the rescue. At this point, I just decided to install
the display on panel with everything on the backside and held it
with two screws. The initial plan was to have the top plexi at the
front. But with the apparent difficulty aligning the screen, the
strip and the PCB together and tightening up the sandwich with the
screws, it will be very difficult to do everything again with the
side panel in the way.
Hereís the finished product. Looking at
my master RTX-ing (I have a Black & Decker RTX so I canít say
ďDremelingĒ skills) on my side panel, it didnít deserve to be shown
to the public. So with some C-molding, ugly cutting cover-up is
complete. Anyway, it went well with my window. The HH.Hc that you
see is the INSIDE temp reading. The INSIDE thermistor snapped off
but it can be fixed with some soldering.
I placed the temperature sensor
somewhere in between the HSF and the stick if RAM just to see if it
would get reasonable temps. Running this along with MBM, my ambient
temps as compared with the temps from the display did differ that
much. Thereís a difference of about 1-2 degrees, probably due to the
temperature sensor position.
Looks good to me. Iíll be working on
the INSIDE temperature sensor next, probably try to replace them
with another to see if it'll get better temps. Since the INSIDE
temperature sensor is very small in size compared to the usual ones,
it would be a good CPU core temp probe.
Due to the PCBís size, I wasnít able to
install it on a 5.25Ē bay plate. If you plan to use a 5.25Ē bay,
thereís also another Indoor/Outdoor
digital thermometer from Radio Shack that is small enough to fit
the bay plate. Difference is, It can only display one temp at a
time. A slide switch switches the display from Indoor to Outdoor.
But itís around $14.99.
I tried to do some backlighting with
some LEDs but I canít find a good LED position to fully light up the
display. The only way I can light it up enough to be able to read
the display in the dark was to shed light directly on the display.
The CCFL somehow gave a little ambient light on the plexi layers so
it shone up a bit.
Anyway, itís all good. Thanks for
taking the time.