Anyone versed in computer hardware thinks "Coolers" when they hear the name Zalman. CPU Coolers, VGA Coolers, Chipset Coolers, Hard Drive Coolers; Zalman does it all.
Today I've got the Zalman Fatal1ty FC-ZV9 VGA cooler for review, and I'm looking forward to attaching it to one of my video cards for testing. I'm going to be using the 7900GS I reviewed recently because one of my complaints with it was the heatsink, which was merely adequate. The 64-degree core temperatures recorded with the stock heatsink, while safe, was too high for my personal taste. Additionally, if my significant other let me play for more than an hour or so, I think I'd be seeing even more worrisome temperatures.
This VGA cooler is Zalman's latest release in the Fatal1ty line. Let's take a look at the cooler in its packaging:
The back of the box gives the standard information on features and specifications, but you can also see the baseplate through a plastic porthole that shows off the mirror finish (reflecting my hand in the following photograph).
The fan fins are translucent (they are lit by LEDs) and the copper fins have been chromed. Overall this gives the cooler a very upscale appearance.
What fun would a review be without a bag of goodies? The Zalman FC-ZV9 comes with 8 passive heatsinks for the RAM chips, all the wiring and mounting accessories you might need, and Zalman's FanMate 2 controller to adjust the speed of the fan.
A second look at the cooler's base; here we can see the reflection of the HS that is currently installed in my system. The base of the cooler was about two feet away from the currently installed HS at the time of the picture. You can also see all of the retention guide holes for the different VGA cards supported.
Let's check out those features before we move on.
- Pure copper heat sink base and fins maximize cooling performance.
- Use of two high performance heat pipes maximizes heat transfer.
- Circular heatsink formed by radially aligned ultra-thin (0.2mm) fins minimizes airflow resistance and maximizes heat dissipation surface area for excellent cooling performance.
- Fast 80mm red LED fan cools not only the VGA chipset and VGA RAM, but all other VGA components.
- Compact and light-weight design prevents physical stress on the graphic card.
- Improvement in the installation structure provides excellent compatibility and easy installation.
- FanMate 2 fan controller for fine adjustment between Quiet Mode and Performance Mode.
- Dimensions : 96(L) X 96(W) X 30(H)mm
- Weight : 185g
- Base Material : Pure Copper
- Bearing Type : 2-Ball
- Speed : 1,650 ~ 3,600rpm ± 10%
- Noise Level : 20 ~ 36.0dB ± 10%