This is how it looked like at the back. I had to put about two layers of plexi pieces to level over the capacitor and the resistor. I tested it to see if I aligned the screen over the strip and the PCB correctly to display the info. After getting the display to work, I tightened up the nuts.
The display uses one AA battery. I got one of the AA single battery holders from the Shack since the original battery holder is on the back cover of the display.
On with the side panel markings. Measure twice, cut once. This way of thinking somehow did not work for me. Good thing I have an 8Ē flat file and some needle files. Iíve included the screen hole measurements that I used just in case you want to do the same. The viewable screen of the LCD is approximately 4.7cm x 3cm. I just added about 1cm on both sides just in case I put some rubber molding.
Hereís a good time to give a good tip. If you have plans to drill some holes on your beautiful brushed aluminum case, drill from the backside. If your drill bit goes awry, this nice piece of art, err, accident wonít stick out like a stupid modders accident. Anyway, I liked the way it made a curve so it didnít matter to me (yeah right). As you can see, the cut was straight but was a little angled, based on the brush marks. Flat file to the rescue. At this point, I just decided to install the display on panel with everything on the backside and held it with two screws. The initial plan was to have the top plexi at the front. But with the apparent difficulty aligning the screen, the strip and the PCB together and tightening up the sandwich with the screws, it will be very difficult to do everything again with the side panel in the way.
Hereís the finished product. Looking at my master RTX-ing (I have a Black & Decker RTX so I canít say ďDremelingĒ skills) on my side panel, it didnít deserve to be shown to the public. So with some C-molding, ugly cutting cover-up is complete. Anyway, it went well with my window. The HH.Hc that you see is the INSIDE temp reading. The INSIDE thermistor snapped off but it can be fixed with some soldering.
I placed the temperature sensor somewhere in between the HSF and the stick if RAM just to see if it would get reasonable temps. Running this along with MBM, my ambient temps as compared with the temps from the display did differ that much. Thereís a difference of about 1-2 degrees, probably due to the temperature sensor position.
Looks good to me. Iíll be working on the INSIDE temperature sensor next, probably try to replace them with another to see if it'll get better temps. Since the INSIDE temperature sensor is very small in size compared to the usual ones, it would be a good CPU core temp probe.
Due to the PCBís size, I wasnít able to install it on a 5.25Ē bay plate. If you plan to use a 5.25Ē bay, thereís also another Indoor/Outdoor digital thermometer from Radio Shack that is small enough to fit the bay plate. Difference is, It can only display one temp at a time. A slide switch switches the display from Indoor to Outdoor. But itís around $14.99.
I tried to do some backlighting with some LEDs but I canít find a good LED position to fully light up the display. The only way I can light it up enough to be able to read the display in the dark was to shed light directly on the display. The CCFL somehow gave a little ambient light on the plexi layers so it shone up a bit.
Anyway, itís all good. Thanks for taking the time.